OHS: Day 1 Post-op 8am

19 Apr

I wanted to give an update about what happened yesterday. Malachi came out of surgery and was doing great. They moved him to his room and then his blood pressure was dropping and his heart rate was high. They did an X-ray and they could see a lot of blood pooling around the back of the heart. They did an echo and could see the pericardial effusion more clear and thought he had a bleeder. They prepped his room so they could reopen his chest to find the bleeder and burn it. First, the doctor opened a small part of the incision at the bottom in order to suction out the fluid/blood. 100mls came out. It looked like it was no longer accumulating so they inserted another drain to monitor the flow. It slowed down so they didn’t actually have to open him back up. Praise God! It was everyone praying for my sweet boy!

He had a high fever (102.7) last night so he’s been on ice. Still has a fever off and on this morning so he’s still on ice and uncovered. I hate it. His feet and hands are so cold. Beautiful (no longer blue or clubbed since October’s surgery) but cold.

His blood pressure is still fluctuating but they think it was because he needed blood products and then when he finished getting the blood products which then made it go the other direction.

We are hoping they get the tube out this morning. He keeps trying to talk or remove the tube. He’s had tears running down his face. Breaks my heart. They are trying to keep him sedated but when they need to move him he usually wakes and acts like he’s choking on the tube. 😢

He develops bed sores on his bottom (bony tailbone troubles) very quickly so we’ve been telling them to watch him. The are is already getting discolored so they’ve taken some preventative measures.

I was able to sleep about 5-6 hours. Kevan got more I think. I am having terrible leg cramps though and it woke me up several times. Kevan has been helping me remember my thyroid pill each day. I’m guessing I’m getting high and it’s causing hyperthyroid symptoms. I usually only take it 3-4 times per week instead of 7. So, with Kevan reminding me my body is probably wondering what’s going on. Lol

We are waiting on doctors rounds to get an idea of when the tube can come out. I miss my sweet boy. Please pray with us that he won’t have swallowing issues. We don’t want a feeding tube or thickened liquids.

One Response to “OHS: Day 1 Post-op 8am”

  1. Cira Margarita Abreu April 19, 2019 at 8:32 pm #

    Praying for all of you. May God bless you all!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: