Oncology Appointment – Good News/Bad News

30 Apr

Kevan and I went to my Oncology check-up appointment today.  I tried to talk my doctor into letting me get hair extensions through my insurance so I wouldn’t have to pay for them.  I mean, really….it is causing emotional distress having this short curly hair.  lol!  He wouldn’t go for it.  But, he joked and said that he had a hair extension side business.  Ha!  Being an oncologist….he would make a bundle!  🙂

The GREAT news is that all things cancer related came back great.  I talked to him a little about how I am eating better than I was before cancer and about the same amount and still not losing weight.  Kevan and I are taking 1.5-3 mile walks several times a week as well.  I just cannot get this weight off.  He told me that once my metabolism ramps back up (now that I’m no longer in menopause) that I should start losing the weight I’ve gained.  So, we left with all great news.  Then….

I got a call about 3 hours later that my additional blood work had come back.  Everything was good, but my thyroid levels were so bad that it is showing that it is no longer functioning.  Oops.  My bad.  I actually don’t have a functioning thyroid.  I had it radiated in 2003 due to Graves Disease.  Well, now I take thyroid meds each day.  So, I’m supposed to take it every day.  I’ve been forgetting to take my thyroid meds for WEEKS.  Kevan remembers about once a week to remind me, but I just keep forgetting.  I have tried EVERYTHING to remember.  I put it next to my coffee…I remember for the first few days, but then I don’t even see it after that.  Same thing with my nightstand.  I put it there, I take it for a few days and then it becomes part of the table and I never see it anymore after that.  HOW DO PEOPLE REMEMBER??  I did read that memory loss is part of hypothyroidism though…so maybe that is why I can’t remember.

Why can’t doctors invent a thyroid patch?  I could probably remember to change the patch once every few weeks.  So…..I am going to SERIOUSLY try to remember the next few weeks because my oncologist threatened me with seeing an endocrinologist  if I don’t get it back up in the next 4 weeks.  Also….they pretty much told me this is probably why I can’t lose the weight.  That enough should be the motivation to find my pills and take them each day, right?  I sure hope so.  Honestly, I do hate taking medication….any medication.  I usually live with a headache until it gets so bad that I have to take something.  If I have a cold….I don’t take anything until it is so bad I can’t stand it anymore.  I don’t know why I have such an aversion to medication, but I do (and my Mama does too….so maybe it is a hereditary thing).  I will start praying that I remember and that I get up and take it immediately.  I mean, technically…..taking my pills could be the equivalent to time on the treadmill right?  If it is going to help me lose weight!

If you have any ideas on how I can remember….let me know.   I know….this probably just made me lose all smartness with people out there….but this is just one of my many weirdnesses.  There are many.  Just ask my hubby.

9 Responses to “Oncology Appointment – Good News/Bad News”

1. Annette April 30, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

Leave sticky notes in multiple places you will see them, like the mirror in your bathroom, in the fridge, on the front door, etc. and then make yourself take them when you see the first note-no matter what! I’ll be praying for you!

• jayde0401 May 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

I’ve tried the sticky notes on the mirror and fridge. They become fixtures and I start to ignore them. I’m going to try an iphone app. I hope/pray it works!

2. Teri Sortzi May 1, 2013 at 1:56 am #

Are you on tamoxifin? That made me gain weight. I lost it after I was off it.
    Also, I was diagnosed with thyroidism too. I took my pill first thing before I woke
    up because I wanted coffee and food as soon as I could. Hated that so I switched
    it to night and that worked for me.

• jayde0401 May 1, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Teri,

I’m not on Tamoxifin. I prayed soooooo hard that I wouldn’t have to take it. I knew 2 friends that were on it and they were miserable. Also, we want to have children and it would’ve prolonged are ability to try for MANY years and we aren’t young anymore. When I arrived to my appointment with the Oncologist to talk about Tamoxifin I was so stressed out because I had this whole speech ready on why I didn’t want to take it and that I wasn’t going to do it. In previous conversations he pretty much said it was a MUST. Well, that day he walked in and told me he didn’t think I needed it (before I even opened my mouth). I was sooooo happy. The best news! So, I haven’t taken it. Prayer can do miracles! I have tried taking my thyroid meds at night and in the morning….I can’t figure out when to do it….I remember for about 3 days and then…..I forget for about a week or more. :o(

3. Lory May 1, 2013 at 2:03 am #

Do you use Outlook (or Live Mail) to keep track of all your conference calls? Add a daily reoccurring event to your Outlook and don’t dismiss it until you take it. A habit takes several weeks before it is engrained to actually be considered a habit.

• jayde0401 May 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

Lory, I do use Outlook mail. I have tried putting it on my calendar, but with sooooo many reminders already going off (because I haven’t finished all of my tasks for that day/week) I start to ignore it. I know…..I’m terrible…but after a few days I no longer notice that it is in my reminders. I did remember today though! Already took it! :o) I’m going to use an iPhone app since that would be its only function….so I shouldn’t be able to ignore it easily. lol! We will see how it goes!

4. Marla Hartson May 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Jayde, try to find an existing habit and tie it to that. For example, take the medicine when you brush your teeth.

5. Katherine Griffin May 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Jayde,
    I have been following your posts since your story was shared with me by Joan Colorigh. I have prayed for you and will continue to pray for you in your needs to take your medication. I have found the most effective way to train myself to take meds is to set a daily alarm on my cell phone.

You have such a precious way about you! You are touching many lives, including mine.

Blessings and prayers,
    Kathi Griffin in Georgia

• jayde0401 May 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Awe. Kathi, you are soooooo sweet! Thank you so much for commenting. I love hearing from those that read my blog that I don’t know about. Thank you for your prayers as well. I am so overwhelmed when I hear about those praying for me. God is so good. The purpose of my blog has always been to share my experience in order to help those going through the same struggles, but also to glorify the Lord through them as well. He is the One that brings me through each struggle. I need to pray more about my pill taking as well and I am going to try using an iphone app as my daily reminder. :o) Praying it works! God bless you!