Day 14 – My Bald Head

10 Jul
When I woke up today my hair was falling out in HUGE clumps.  I don’t know why, but I thought it would fall out little by little.  Um….no.  It falls out in handfuls.  Here is a picture of a ziploc bag of how much hair just “fell out” during the day today.  It is a GALLON size ziploc bag.  So, we decided.  Today was the day.  I didn’t want to go through this again tomorrow.
Kevan and I decided to have fun with this.  Kevan’s dad came over with his clippers and we got to work.  I didn’t want it to be a sad time.  I knew it was going to happen, I accepted it and I prayed for God to give me the strength I needed to get through it.  He answered my prayer because we didn’t shed a single tear (Kevan or I).  We laughed all the way through it.
Here is a before picture.  I normally straighten my hair every day….so this is a really BAD picture of me because I had to let it just dry. Also, I didn’t put any makeup on.  I guess I should’ve, but I didn’t feel like taking the time.  Plus, the shower curtain ism’t doing much for me.
If I had taken the time to straighten it…there would not have been any hair left.  To give you an idea…..here is a picture of my clean brush.
This is a picture of ONE brush through.  Just ONE.  CRAZY!  It is pretty gross!
First thing we did was cut off my ponytails.  This is what we ended up with.  Short haired Jayde.  As you can see…my part is already starting to look bald.
Here is a side view.
Then, he shaved the sides.
Lovely.  Can you tell I’m a girl?
David….here is the scar in the back of my head that you gave me from the back of the hammer you threw at me….I mean dropped on me…by accident.  I know.  I know.  You knew it would come up….didn’t you?  lol!!
Wow…I sure didn’t recognize myself in that last picture.  As you can see from below….Kevan wasn’t that great with making a mohawk.  He had to work a little harder.  He said it was my fine hair….I don’t know.
Side view after we cut off more of the sides.
The mohawk thing just wasn’t working for me.  My part balded earlier today…so it just didn’t look right.
So….what did I learn?  I have a REALLY ugly bald head.  LOL!  Lots of scars, bumps, moles.  Eww!  Here is a picture of the floor when we were done.
I wonder how many of you scrolled to the bottom first to see the “after” picture.  Well, here you go.  Here is Jayde will her ugly bald head!  LOL!!
I had to change the background and my shirt.  I just couldn’t reveal the after picture looking all pale.  I told Kevan how happy I was that I had straight teeth (I just got my braces off in April) and he said, “Ya, because everyone’s going to be looking at your teeth.”  LOL!  Thanks Babe…what exactly are they going to be looking at?
Also, my father-in-law said….”if you take one earring out you’d look just like Mr. Clean.”  Um….thanks.  LOL!
I truly believe God gave me some special grace to get through this.  I’m glad it wasn’t a sad experience and that Kevan and I were able to have fun with it.  I did try on a few of my head coverings and I’m a little disappointed because they don’t look that great, but I probably need to work with them a little.  I’ll definitely have to wear makeup and earrings too.  If I don’t wear earrings people will think I’m a boy.  Anyway….I hope you enjoyed the post and got a few laughs.  :o)

24 Responses to “Day 14 – My Bald Head”

1. Anonymous July 10, 2012 at 2:46 am #

Reading this and seeing your photos of the "cutting the hair" experience, I see just what a "wheenie" I was to opt for a milder chemo. I am in awe of you and your courage. I am tearful at this moment and at a loss of words. This is from my heart – you are truly an inspiration. Judy

2. Anonymous July 10, 2012 at 2:53 am #

Jayde, You definitely made me laugh. You are such a good sport and I'm glad that God gave you the grace to get through this. You look absolutely beautiful without the hair! I actually like it. The final look is better than the mohawk.Love, Julie

3. Anonymous July 10, 2012 at 3:06 am #

Holy Cow Batman – I have the most amazing, beautiful, awesome daughter – Jayde – I am in constant awe of you and what you are allowing God to do in your life. I love you and miss you so. Mom

4. Willie Dale July 10, 2012 at 3:09 am #

sinead o'connor would be proud. You may learn to like it. Very big savings on shampoo. I can give you lessons on the one hand razor technique that I use. It does not need to be an unhappy thing. Its just one more milestone toward being rid of this problem.

5. Anonymous July 10, 2012 at 3:21 am #

I agree Willie Dale – just one more milestone behind you. Mom

6. Annette July 10, 2012 at 3:30 am #

Jayde, you look AWESOME! Seriously, the courage and humor you are facing this with is a great encouragement to those of us who might are facing other things in our lives. I hope that our prayers and comments can be of some encouragement to you!

7. Anonymous July 10, 2012 at 3:47 am #

Jayde, I really did not realize that you look so much like Jeanette until I saw your side profile. I thought you just looked like your mom. You are as beautiful as ever! You and your testimony are such a blessing to us all.Much love,Patrice

8. Julia July 10, 2012 at 11:42 am #

You actually have a really symmetrical head! 🙂 Seriously, you make bald look pretty darn good…maybe I should try that style in Laos. Could start a trend 🙂 I love the way you guys look for humor and a way to give thanks in everything. It's pretty amazing. You inspire and encourage us all!!

9. Cheryl Whiteaker July 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

I THINK YOU LOOK BEAUITFUL. I also think your are one amassing you lady. God bless my friends.

10. Cheryl Whiteaker July 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

11. Anonymous July 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Jayde, not to copy everyone else, but the end result is beautiful–your head looks perfectly shaped. I like the size earrings, too. Now you can accessorize with the jewelry to change your look!!! I have to admit, that I also liked the styles in the first and second stages–I am sort of partial to the punk look. I wore mine really short for a while, but it required too much "product" to keep it spiked. Here I was eating all organic and then putting "poison" on my head just to look spikey!!! It was nice that Jerry was involved in this–sometimes others can't do what they consider to be much to help–this was perfect. Love, JOY

12. Melissa July 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Yep, you're still a beauty! Inside and Out! Bring on the dangly earrings and fun head scarves. Just think, it may take you less time to get ready than Kevan! LOLLove you!Melissa

13. Laura July 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Jayde…you have ALWAYS been gorgeous! Now, you're just sporting a "new" look that happens to work well on you! And I definitely know you can give Mr. Clean a run for his money! You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers and throughout this whole process and thru your blog, you are making all of us stronger and better people. Thank you so much for this gift! It's priceless…and so are you. Love you to the moon and back! ❤ ❤ <3…..Laura, Johnny, and The Crew

14. Jayde July 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Laura, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. It is nice to hear that the blog is helping others. That is my purpose for it. :o) I love you guys!!

15. Jayde July 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Melissa,It's funny because I only own like 4 pair of earrings. I guess I'm going to have to go buy some. LOL! It definitely will take me less time to get ready. Kevan has to shave his face and do his hair. I just have to put a scarf or my faux wig thingy on. :o) I'm having to get used to the head scarf thing…the bottom of the back of my head is SO BALD that it is really something that I have to get used to. It bothers me. Love you too!!!!Jayde

16. Jayde July 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Joy,You are so funny. I'm glad someone liked the punk look on me. lol! If I would've thought about it I would've bought some hair gel just to have a little fun, but I didn't think that far in advance. I'm going to have to get some jewelry as I only own like 4 pair of earrings. Thanks for dinner last night! We ate the chicken soup you sent to us awhile back. I still have one more container of it in the freezer. It was soooooooo good!!Jayde

17. Jayde July 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Oh Julia! Don't try it in Laos. You have beautiful hair. :o) Thanks for the sweet comments. I wish I was there in Florida to see you. Praying for you and your strep throat. Love you!!!

18. Jayde July 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Funny, no one has ever said I looked like my Aunt Jeanette. :o) She is very pretty though so that is a compliment. Thank you for your sweet comments. I hope I get to see you and visit with you sometime soon!

19. Jayde July 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Thanks Annette. You are sweet. I love your humor too with all of the things going on with you. Your kids are beautiful and I love your stories about them. Your prayers and comments are a HUGE encouragement to me. God has really blessed me with friends like you! Glad we met you and Trent while we were in Raleigh!

20. Erica July 11, 2012 at 2:44 am #

Jayde,You look really beautiful! Your head looks great bald! I am amazed by how strong you are! God bless you!

21. cmumbert July 11, 2012 at 3:09 am #

I think you pull off bald beautifully. 🙂

22. Wendy July 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Well I think you look hot, and if I were into chicks, I'd be all about me some Jayde Riley. Shhh! Don't tell Kevan : )

23. Jen March 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm #

You look adorable bald, and with supershort hair. Making a care package for my friend who is doing her first chemo on Tuesday. Lung cancer.

• jayde0401 March 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Thank you for your comment an for stopping by and for your sweet words. I am blessed to have a full head of (curly) hair now – 1.5 years later. I said a prayer for you both and a specific healing prayer for your friend. May God be with you both! Bless you for making a care package for her!!